Sunday, September 13, 2009

Personal Statement

I am currently a third year student majoring in Chemistry at the National University of Singapore. I have previously obtained a diploma in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Technology at Nanyang Polytechnic. I have a strong desire to improve the health of humanity and a passion to help people lead a healthier life. With these, I aspire to work in the pharmaceutical industry.

I believe perseverance is the key to success. Hence, I work hard and give my best effort to accomplish any task assigned to me. I have proved to be a responsible and efficient team player through the team-related activities in school and workplace.

Apart from the academics, I am an active participant in co-curricular activities over the years. I was a member of the symphonic band during my years in secondary school and my role as a secretary has equipped me with valuable organizational skills. The experiences that I gained through the participation in school performance, outdoor events and competitions have certainly been enriching and memorable. In NUS, I am a volunteer in the Students’ Community Service Club. I am involved in a project named “Grant A Wish”, which seeks to fulfill the wishes of the less fortunate children. I truly believe that the journey to happiness starts with giving and I hope to spread the spirit of volunteerism among the general public.

Family has always been my main pillar of support and love and I believe that they are the ones who motivate me to go further in life.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Peiling,

    i like how you phrase your sentences.It is informative about your beliefs and desires. I like how you include that your family is your pillar of support.i woudlnt have thought of including it.

    i have learnt much from your entry.Thank you!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Peiling,

    I love your post! You have shown how perseverance has helped you in your accomplishments and this make me even more determined to keep on keeping on! (: It is really nice that you want to spread volunteerism and joy to people. I believe your loving nature will influence many people around you. (:

    This post impacted me but I think the last paragraph ended a bit too abruptly. Probably you can elaborate more on the family part before you end off and it will be better! (:

    Thanks so much for the post! (:

    Love,
    Nappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Peipei,

    Somehow, I always find your entry very inspiring. With your positive attitude and volunteer spirit, I think I have a greater insight of who you really are. I think you rub off some of your positiveness to me, and I am glad that I've changed gradually for better.

    I am awed that you are active in volunteering and also encourage others to participate. Thanks for inviting me to join the community service, I may not be as active as you are, but I have hope to contribute to the society too.

    =D

    With love,
    huahua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pei Ling,

    Thank you for your effort. I see that you are involved in lots of areas: your family, Grant a Wish, your studies.

    But you don't give me an in-depth feeling for how you participate.

    You have goals, but you don't explain your motivation in any detail.

    You need to get more focused in your discussion and be more complete, more specific in your manner of addressing the items you mention in general.

    1) With these, > with what?

    2) I work hard and give my best effort to accomplish any task assigned to me. I have proved to be a responsible and efficient team player through the team-related activities in school and workplace. > give specific examples, explaining how you do what you assert that you do

    3) I am a volunteer in the Students’ Community Service Club. I am involved in a project named “Grant A Wish”, which seeks to fulfill the wishes of the less fortunate children. I truly believe that the journey to happiness starts with giving and I hope to spread the spirit of volunteerism among the general public.
    > Great! But what did you do?

    This is a fluent effort, but it lacks substance. It's a bit like skim milk, or a burger without the meat.

    Let's work on this.

    (Look at the posts of some of your classmates, perhaps, Ji Wei,or Xiu Ling, to see how they go into more detail.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peiling!

    I'm impressed by your spirit of volunteerism. A little effort from each one of us can bring smiles to the less fortunate. I see that you are spreading this lovely nature of yours by iniviting people to the club.:)


    I feel that your entry lacks depth. For example, in the 2nd paragraph, you can give examples of how your perseverence brought success. Perhaps you want to elaborate more on each activity and how it develops your personality.

    Love,
    Shiny

    ReplyDelete