Monday, September 7, 2009

Job Application Letter

Company: Abbott Manufacturing Singapore Private Limited

We now wish to recruit for the following key position:
Analytical Laboratory Analyst
(Singapore)

Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Senior Chemist, he or she will:
• Be responsible for ensuring safe testing of raw materials, in-process materials and finished products
• Provide prompt service and support production activities in a safe and productive environment
• Ensure the calibration and maintenance status of all laboratory equipment is kept updated

Requirements:
• Diploma in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering / Food Technology or equivalent discipline
• Fresh graduate from Chemistry or any related disciplines, with good learning attitude are welcome to apply
• Good analytical and problem solving skills
• Competent in laboratory instrumentation such as HPLC, GC, FTIR
• Knowledge of GMP/GLP in Food/Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
• Able to work in a fast-paced laboratory environment, meet tight deadlines and multi-task


My Job Application Letter:


Blk 606, Hougang Ave 4,
#10-175, Singapore 530606

September 3, 2009

Mr Ronald Ho
Human Resource Manager
Abbott Manufacturing
Singatac, 26 Tuas Ave 10,
Singapore 639147

Dear Mr Ho,

Application for post as Analytical Laboratory Analyst

I am writing in response to the recent post as advertised on Jobstreet for the position of analytical laboratory analyst. I have recently graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Chemistry and I am eager to start a full time profession in the health care sector. In addition to reviewing the enclosed resume, I that hope you will consider the value I bring to Abbott.

It has always been my interest to translate science into lasting contributions to the healthcare community. With my educational background and work experiences, I am confident that I will make an excellent candidate for this position. I am familiar with the knowledge and usage of laboratory instruments such as AAS, HPLC, GC, IR and UV-Vis. In addition, I possess the knowledge of GMP in pharmaceutical manufacturing.

Through my internship with OMG Electronic Chemicals, I have enhanced my analytical skills and carried out various experiments successfully. The tasks that I have assisted include projects involving method validation and process improvement. I have proven my ability of multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment in these projects. Besides this, I have worked part-time as a sales assistant during my school holidays. In this position, I have received compliments on my excellent customer service. These have equipped me with good interpersonal and communication skills which will enable me to deliver my work with greater efficiency.

In review of Abbott’s mission and objectives, I believe that my qualifications is aligned with your reputable organization’s requirement for a laboratory analyst. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the job position further with you in person. If you wish to contact me, I can be reached at 9651 4892 and peiling.eng@gmail.com. I look forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,



Eng Pui Leng

Enclosure: Resume


Note: I have problem underlining my title. I will edit again soon. =)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Peiling!

    It's good that you mentioned and specify the different kinds of laboratory techniques that you had learnt in school. You've made sure that you covered some of the more important points of the job requirements in your letter, for eg the fact that you have knowledge of GMP. =).

    Perhaps you can elaborate more on the various projects that you were inolved during you internship in OMG Electronic Chemicals?

    Overall, I found it well-written. =).

    Thanks for sharing!
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi peipei~

    The tone of your letter sounds courteous and confident. It is great that you mentioned you are able to multi-task and provide service. But there are a few points that you may need to emphasize.

    In your 2nd paragraph, you mentioned that you are familiarized with analytical equpiment and GMP, but you did not mention where you learnt to operate the machines and protocols. Perhaps you can elaborate during your internship experience?

    You missed out 2 job requirements though, Organized and Responsible. You could relate it with one of your part-time job experience.

    Overall, your letter is very concise and relevant to the job requirement.

    =D

    - hua -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peiling,
    I like how you phrase your first sentence in the 2nd paragraph.It shows how passionate you are in contributing to the healthcare industry.=)

    However, there are slight grammatical errors, like in this sentence 'These have equipped me with good interpersonal...' perhaps you might want to change it to 'It has...' to specify the past time jobs.

    It is good that you mention what you did as an intern.i think it can be improved by giving 1 liner examples to show how you can meet the requirements you've missed out.

    on the whole, your letter is well written!I have learnt much from your letter too=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peiling,

    I notice a minor error in the the last sentence of the 1st paragraph. Do take note of it and make the necessary changes.

    Do take note of what Brad mentioned on the last tutorial- the weird expressions which many of us made.

    On the whole, the letter is well-written. Maybe you can make it better by saying "the skills I acquired are transferable to the job and I'm confident that I'll make a suitable candidate".


    Love,
    Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pei Ling,

    Your letter is clear and concise. Apart from this, it is quite relevant to the employer's requirement too.

    However, I think you may elaborate on your working experience to make your statement more convincing. For example, " In this position, I have received compliments on my excellent customer service. These have equipped me with good interpersonal and communication skills which will enable me to deliver my work with greater efficiency. " We know that you received compliment, but what exactly was it about?

    In addition, you may add in some information of your CCA because CCA can serve as a good example of your problem-solving skills and multi-task ability.

    On the whole, the letter satisfy what the employer needs and indeed it is an impressive one. =)

    Cheers,
    Zhi Peng

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear all,

    Thank you so much for the comments. I will improve on my application letter. =)

    Peiling

    ReplyDelete