Sunday, August 23, 2009

Effective communication skills

“I can hardly hold a proper conversation with him, it’s like we are of different frequency!” Does the above sounds familiar? You probably might have experienced such similar frustrating situation before, only to end up avoiding a conversation with him the next time. Hence, to be able to communicate effectively is important and vital in our daily lives.

I believed that cultivating effective communication starts from home. I always feel that there is a special bond within my family. They are the ones who shower me with their never ending love and concerns. However, this ‘special bond’ may break if there is no effective communication with one another. Ineffective communication may leads to conflicts. If the conflicts are not resolve, they may result in resentment and eventually the family relationship becomes an unhealthy one.

Effective communication add values to work, be it creating a positive first impression, attending job interviews, or interactions with my bosses and colleagues. This is important for me as I will be entering the workforce soon after graduation. Being able to communicate effectively is beneficial for me and the people around me at work. At work, I will be meeting people from different age groups, backgrounds, cultures and personalities. By expressing my thoughts and ideas effectively, unnecessary misunderstandings and conflicts can be minimized. I feel that acquiring the skills to communicate properly is equally important as the qualifications that one posses. It differentiates myself from others and further enhances my employability.

Good communication skills include being an active listener. I think that paying attention to the person speaking to you is a form of respect to him or her. The whole conversation will be pointless if one does not practice active listening.

Lastly, I would like to say that effective communication is like a life-long ‘education’. We never stop learning and it takes experiences and practices to improve our communication skills. Through this course, I hope to improve my interpersonal skills and to become an even better person each day.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Peiling,

    I agree with you that effective communication begins from home. Family ties could be affected if proper communication is not established properly.

    After reading your post, it made me reflect how family could have great influence to the habits we learn, especially the way we speak. It also made me realise that having an impressive resume could be useless if we are unable to have good interpersonal relationships with our colleagues.

    Effective communication is indeed important.But to apply the right method could be challenging.Don't you think?

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pei Ling, for this first post. I like the way you emphasize that developing good skills (and the need for those) starts at home. The progression in your discussion is clear. However, there are quite a few minor language problems. For instance, there are verb problems in the following sentences and phrases:

    "Does the above sounds familiar?"

    "If the conflicts are not resolve...."

    "...Effective communication add values...."

    *** In the following phrases, there is some repetition.

    "...probably might have experienced...."

    "...important and vital...."

    I mention these simply to make you more aware of the the language of your written communication. In any case, I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peiling,

    I totally agree with you that communication is a life-long education. It is through those grueling real life experiences which made us realize the importance of effective communication and interpersonal skills. One would not learn how to get up without falling. Hence, we must reflect and learn through our failures instead of blaming others when a team fails to work to together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peiling,

    Thank you for the enlightening entry, I felt the same way as well. How we conveyed our message could shape the type of impression we sent. Especially in the workforce, we have to be cautious of the choice of words we use. Even to family and friends, the things we said and not said could easily be distorted and destructive to a strong bond.

    =)

    ~ Yuanhua ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Peiling,

    I share the same views with you concerning communication within the family. Effective communication is definitely important in expressing love to one another. I have friends who often have conflicts in their family and they themselves realised that it is due partly to the inability to express their love and concern via words. As you have mentioned, active listening plays an important role as well! My brother is one example who exhibite passive listening to my parents. True enough, they do not have a close relationship even though we are under one roof. ):

    It is really nice to have a desire to keep improving to be a better person for other people. (: Let us learn together and embark on a journey to effective communication! :D

    Love,
    Nap

    ReplyDelete